Love always looks like something.
Hearing Heidi Baker speak, she always says "love looks like something" but what I have been learning the past little while for myself personally is that love doesn't always look like what we expect it or want it to look like. That is what makes us doubt and fear when a situation occurs where God is really requiring us to love because all of a sudden we start making assumptions as to what WE think it should look like and base every thought and action as we love on that.
This is when God tells us to ask HIM what it is supposed to look like.
People in second temple Judaism did not expect love to come the way it did, that's why they were so disappointed and went as far as to even reject it when it did finally come.
A while ago for even months straight, the Spirit inside of me would intercede for me saying " Lord I want more of Your love, no matter what it looks like"! And then he would always reply saying " then drink the cup of suffering". All of me would scream no, but my Spirit would say "Yes!"
And since then oh how he has been giving to me all that I have been asking for, but it has not come like I thought it would come or looked like what I thought it would look like. Love looks like something, and if we really say that we want more of His love, I think the next part of our prayer needs to be " Lord I want it to come how You want it to come for me, fill me up with Your perfect love and help me love with Your perfect love, get rid of what I think it should look like, I just want you".
I am a firm believer in that if we lay down all of our expectations of what we think love should look like and just ask for more of Him, love will bear fruit in our lives in such large amounts. We will start seeing love like He sees it and want it the way He wants it. We will start seeing a lot more of hope rather than disappointment in our lives and for our world. Heaven is invading earth by love, but the love sometimes doesn't feel like how we thought it would always feel or look like how we always thought it would look. It even sometimes makes us feel yucky and miserable in our flesh. God has just been really heart teaching me that the pain, the suffering, the hurt, it's the runway for the Kingdom. I know I have known this in my head for a long time but it hasn't started becoming real for my own life until now. I have always thought that the Lord's favor would look like such an attractive thing, like any gift would. But lately I guess I have just been learning that the suffering and hardship in this world is actually the richness of the Lord's favor. The spirit of the poor, the widow, the homeless= runway for the Kingdom. Lord help me WANT to share in the hardship of them all, what they experience, feel and see. Lord make us more lowly, take us deeper into love by wanting all this, its not about what we feel, but about what we know. It's about the kingdom invading earth. Take us out of ourselves to really want this and to really want to be used for this. Help us participate in this huge love invasion, work through the fear that is in us. Teach us through them, we need to know how to love from them, we need more love.
No comments:
Post a Comment